27/07/2011

The Single Life...

I would like to take this opportunity to talk about 'singledom'. There are so many people out there talking about the benefits of it and films showing the benefits (sometimes literally...) and, if I'm totally honest, I am content being single, borderline happy. 


There is one major obstacle to my happy singledom however and that is practically everyone around me. That's right, the "it's not me, it's YOU" defence, it's simply not my fault. In Barry (where I am spending my summer) many of the people around me are in a relationship and so, of course, have less time for me. Frustrating! Yes, yes, this does appear to be jealousy but is it really? Am I jealous that my friends' attentions are elsewhere or am I mourning time lost with said friends because of their relationships? No matter which way you look at it, it is envy. Though interestingly I'm not totally envious that they're in relationships (we'll come back to this later). I'm envious that my friends' partners have been highly prioritised - and rightly so, but that doesn't mean that I don't feel left out! This problem also spreads to Aberystwyth, my uni town, where people there are also in relationships and this forces me to reflect.


Why am I so alone? That might be one of the questions I ask myself, but I shan't - utterly pointless question, I still have friends and family and blah, blah, blah so I'm not entitled to feel lonely but because everyone around me is happy with a 'significant other' I can't help but put my childish attitude first. Where's my significant other?! He's got one, I want one tooooooo! And then throw the mother of all tantrums which probably answers the leading question...


I hope that this post has not come across as me being mope-y, that isn't the case! I am merely ranting. It's healthy to rant, well that's the excuse I'm using anyway. 


Don't be afraid to comment people, it's nice to hear from you!
Diolch am ddarllen,
Liam x

2 comments:

  1. of course i'm still reading your blog!! what would my summer be without any stalking what you're up to... ;)

    ha, one of my favourite subjects, singledom! you and me, singles together...? ;) (other way of saying: we should be in a relationship) :D

    lol (=lots of love),
    -k xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad you're still reading - such a compliment! And the stalking comment is a little creepy... but expected I guess!

    As for your 'single together' idea - no. No.

    lol (=love, oh, love),
    Diolch :) x

    ReplyDelete