17/08/2012

Chooooons!

I told myself never to use the word 'tune' as I have done in my title but now I have. So... yeah. Anyway, as Eurovision if over for another year (why, God, why?!) I can finally share some music that has nothing to do with the contest. That's right, I do listen to other stuff too. So, what's new on my iPod?

Emeli Sandé - Abide With Me

Emeli Sandé is a fantastic singer, there is nothing I've heard from her that I dislike and Abide With Me is no different. As I'm sure many of you will know Sandé featured rather heavily in this year's Olympic ceremonies having performed this song in the opening ceremony as a tribute to those who died in the 7/7 bombings, and it truly was a beautiful tribute. Sandé's vocals are truly beautiful and soft, something which is evident in the final moments of the song when she sings a capella. The music, or general lack thereof, gives the song a haunting, mournful side which is emphasised by the beginning bell chime, the heartbeat throughout and the violins which play later in the song. This is the kind of song that makes you fall silent when you listen to it. It will make you stop in your tracks and think. All I can say is that the American's really missed out by not broadcasting this section of the opening ceremony.

Dragonette - Live In This City
Dragonette - you know, Martina Sorbara (lead singer) provided the vocals to Martin Solveig's Hello? Yeah, that's the one! Anyway, the point in my opener there was that NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE LISTEN TO DRAGONETTE!!! This song is their 2nd single from their upcoming 3rd studio album, Bodyparts, the previous single being Let It Go which is equally/more amazing than this song. Live In This City is a fun, upbeat song which reminds me of Rogue Traders (Voodoo Child) before they went downhill after Natalie Bassingthwaighte left as lead singer. If you fail to enjoy this song, fail to enjoy the rock elements then I really don't see how you ever manage to have fun.   

Carrie Underwood - Blown Away
This is the first time I've ever paid attention to Carrie Underwood, winner of American Idol 4, mainly because she is a country singer and country isn't really my thing. This song however is less country and more rock/pop. The biggest draw to this sing, for me anyway, are the lyrics. There are some fantastic lines such as "There’s not enough rain in Oklahoma/To wash the sins out of that house/There’s not enough wind in Oklahoma/To rip the nails out of the past" and "Listened to the screaming of the wind/Some people called it taking shelter/She called it sweet revenge". The lyrics are dark, the song in general is dark and has a kind of 'twisted fairytale' theme that, as some of you will know, I love. 

There are, of course, other songs I've acquired lately that I like but they're more mainstream and what would be the point in sharing those?! I hope you give these songs a chance and maybe even go crazy and add them to your iPods or whatever.
Liam

No comments:

Post a Comment